Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake



This reminds me of the shortcake my grandmother used to make when I was a child.  It has taken me many years to find something that comes close. This recipe is a riff off of the other 90 second bread recipes out there, but mine has a secret ingredient. This extra ingredient makes the shortcake absorbent. 

Now for the realness. There's a lot of confusion in the sugar free world about what sweetener is safe. I tested this recipe with two different sweeteners pictured below. I am fairly confident you can use any sweetener of your choice. I used what I had on hand. As someone who has been low carb since 1998 I'm not worried about the latest studies, but I will never tell you not to do your own research. I believe everything in moderation is a good rule to live by. I don't use the same sweetener every time, and I don't use the same sweetener every day.


On the left everything was made with Splenda.
The strawberries actually stayed brighter.
On the right Lakanto powdered monk fruit with erythritol was used.
Both the shortcake and the berries darkened slightly in color. 

Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Recipe:

Ingredients for Strawberry Topping:

6 Strawberries chopped
2 Tablespoons sweetener of choice

Ingredients for Shortcake:


3 Tablespoons Almond Flour
1 Tablespoon Bamboo Fiber
1-2 Tablespoons Sweetener of Choice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil (You could also sub in a tablespoon of melted butter)
1 Egg beaten

Truwhip Keto Whipped Topping or make your own.

Directions:

  1. Slice up your strawberries.
  2. Toss with sweetener of choice.
  3. Set aside. As the sweetener and strawberries combine it will form its own juice. This is what we want. If yours isn't getting juicy you could add more sweetener, but it isn't totally necessary.
  4. Mix together almond flour, bamboo fiber, sweetener and baking powder.
  5. Add in the avocado oil and egg. 
  6. Combine all shortcake ingredients until well mixed.
  7. Place in microweable safe bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. (I use something called a Chef Buddy Microwave maker.)
  8. Remove from container and cool on rack.
  9. Once cooled slice into two or three slices. (Sometimes I make a double batch and if I slice into six slices I can get three servings for less carbs. Keeps in the fridge well for a few days.)
  10. Spoon half your strawberries on the bottom layer, top with whipped cream.
  11. Layer on another slice of shortcake.
  12. Add the rest of your strawberries and whipped topping.
  13. Enjoy with childlike abandon.


Comments

Popular Posts