Microwave Oopsie Rolls

No, I did not invent them. I just put them in the microwave.
The awesome lady that did invent them and her original recipe can be found here:
http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/

She bakes them, and they are great when you bake them. Awesome, in fact. They turn out slightly brownish and are way prettier than mine.

However, today I'm lazy and time challenged, so I thought..."Okay, I have time to make these, but I'm going to throw one in the microwave as a test...just to see...and if that doesn't work...I'll try the NuWave." One Facebook hour later and driven by hunger, I actually made them.

I have one of those Microwave Egg Sandwich cooker things. It has a flip top lid. I left it open - sprayed top and bottom with cooking spray and put my batter in both compartments.

Mine came out flat...(I also got some yolk in my whites.) But for quick low carb, flatish bread in a pinch, this is what I'm doing from now on.

I present to you the Micro-Oopsie.
They come out about the size of an English Muffin.
I'd probably count it as 1 carb.
Recipe:
2 eggs
2 oz. cream cheese
Pinch of cream of tartar

Directions:
Separate yolks from whites into two separate bowls.
Add cream of tartar to whites. Beat the living heck out of this. Took me about 6 minutes with a whisk attachment at top speed. Whites should be stiff. (Makes kind of a cool pattern with the whisk.)
In separate bowl beat yolks and cream cheese til smooth.
Super slowly with a spatula, add yolk mixture to whites and fold in gently.
Spray something round and microwaveable with cooking spray. Put in 1/4 of the batter.
Microwave on high for 45 seconds til you start to hear a slight crackle.
If you have the same Micro Sandwich Cooker thing that I do, split half the batter between the two compartments. Microwave for about 1 min 30 seconds.
Take out and place on wire rack to cool. If they still seem a little too moist you can pop them back in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds.

Makes 4 pieces. 1 carb for two pieces.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts